Monday, December 22, 2008

Last day of school before Christmas

I've heard a lot of people say that some parents live vicariously through their kids, and I will admit that I guess maybe I do. For example, for the last day of school before the "Winter Break" (if I'm being politically correct) Melissa wanted to get all Christmasy. She wore a red and white shirt, her Santa hat, and Santa earings. Then she asked me to curl her hair (she even got dressed and brushed her teeth in record time to make it happen). When I was little, this was one of my dreams- to dress up all Christmasy just for school. What can I say, I was silly, but Melissa really looked cute, and had a good time doing it!

I also was in charge of the Christmas party in Spencer's class. I didn't take any pictures and it turned out all fine, but boy was it a mess trying to come up with the party. For example, we planned the party. There were three of us Mom's. I couldn't get ahold of the third mom until two days before the party because I had the wrong phone number, so the two of us, me and my neighbor, decided our party. We thought we would split the class into three groups each mom would take a group, then have the kids rotate. We were going to decorate a cookie, make an ornament, and play a game. Then when it was over we were going to have a little gift exchange game and a snack. When I ran that by Spencer's teacher, she thought the gift exchange would end in tears (or at least it has in the past) and would rather not. So no problem, we nixed it and thought we would just do a big group game instead.

Then, another 1st grade class did some gingerbread houses on Monday before the last day, and my neighbor and I thought that wouldn't be much more difficult than the cookies, so I switched. However, the DAY BEFORE the party, Spencer comes home with a Gingerbread house that they had done in class. So, I had to nix that and went back to the cookie idea. Then, the day of the party, the other mom who was going to do the game, called and said she couldn't make it. So once again we were scrambling for what to do. The teacher just offered to do one of the stations. It all worked out, but it seemed like it was a mess coming up with it. I don't think I will volunteer to be incharge anymore.

2 comments:

Lhone said...

Yeah, I was in charge of doing Brandon's halloween party last year. I went to the hospital instead. NEVER volunteer.

Judy said...

I would never dare wear a Santa hat (even now, I dont think I could do it... I dared Michael to wear one to our Christmas party and he wouldn't do it either). So, I think it's pretty brave of her, she looks so cute, which is why she can pull it off! The closest thing to dressing Christmasy I got was when Jerusha gave me a Bah-Humbug t-shirt a couple of years ago. Even then, I only wore it to a family party.