Friday, May 8, 2009

A yearly tradition

Every year on Ragan's birthday we take flowers to the cemetary for Ragan's birthday. And in keeping with tradition, we take the same pictures every year. We take a picture of the headstone by itself,
Followed by a picture of all of the kids ...

And then each kid individually... First Melissa


Then Spencer


Then Jenna




And finally Jayden




Melissa really seemed to struggle all day. She came home from school and was in tears. She said that she just had a really bad day at school and proceeded to tell me all that had happened and gone wrong. And after listening to them all, I think she could would have been just fine had it been any other day. That night, she asked me why she is the only one that gets emotional like that, and I told her that's because she was alive when it all happened and remembers it being sad.
After the cemetary, we came home, had some cake and sang happy birthday. Again, Melissa struggled throughout the song, but Jayden sure loved it. Even sang it in his bed when he was going to sleep. One other tradition Melissa has is she takes one of the flowers from the bouquet and presses it and last night she had Jenna grab a flower too, and Melissa was showing Jenna how to press it.



4 comments:

Judy said...

What a great tradition. I think that is very sweet, and that you do the birthday cake too.

Melissa Walton said...

Happy Birthday Ragan. I didn't realize that it was May 7. I'm glad you guys get flowers and go to the cemetery and have traditions with Ragan. It just makes the day special, and I think it's great for the kids to remember that families are forever...and that they have a sweet sister that is part of their family.

Lhone said...

I was thinking about her (I actually think about her every year), but I was thinking about how big she would be, and all that, but this year I was thinking about Melissa. She was the only one NOT crying at the graveside service. She was actually really happy, bouncing around, and playing with the flowers. I wondered why she, and other kids, seem to be happy at funerals. Why the rest of us are sad. Interesting that you would blog about her being sad. She joins the ranks?

Batistas said...

Great tradition. We didn't visit Ryans grave very often, but I think that it would have been nice.