Sunday, August 2, 2009

Swim Lessons

This summer Spencer, Jenna and Melissa have all done swimming lessons. When I was first looking to sign the kids up for swimming lessons, I was told about a place here in town that did private lessons, but I was also told they fill up fast so by the time I was calling, I was probably out of luck. At the same time, I knew my Mom's neighbor did private swim lessons and was REALLY good at it. Most kids learn to swim quick. However, my Mom lives 30 min. away, and I worried about driving back and forth every day for two weeks (you know, gas ain't cheap!) I called the first place, and they actually had two openings, however, they were only 20 min. lessons, for just one week. And I was pretty sure that Spencer and Jenna were going to need the full two weeks that my mom's neighbor was offering. So I went ahead, and signed Melissa up at the first place for just one week since she already knows how to swim, but just wanted a little help on getting her strokes better. And then signed Spencer and Jenna up with my Mom's neighbor. I figured that then I would know for future reference if the place close by would have been just fine.

Well, let me tell you, the driving 30 min. there and then 30 min. back, everyday for two weeks, was well worth it! After having watched the beginning swimmers where Melissa had lessons and then watching Jenna and Spencer's lessons, there was no contest. My Mom's neighbor was incredible and well worth every penny!

To begin with, Jenna hasn't really ever been afraid of the water. She doesn't mind her face getting wet and loves splashing around. Spencer on the other hand was terrified of the water. And when he got to where he could tolerate being IN the water, he would freak out if anyone splashed near him. So when we went to the first lesson and before they even got started. The teacher (Tracy) took him on a little "tour" of the pool (they walked around the pool, she showed him where the deep end starts, showed him the diving board, the stairs, and then where the bathroom was in her house {I told you she was a genius!}) before even getting in the water, and I could tell he was already starting to fight the tears. I thought "Oh man, here we go, two weeks of taking him to swimming kicking and screaming."

However, the first thing she does is tell them to get in the water, walk back and forth and then she tosses some rings and says "Go get em!" {She is British, so has this fabulous accent} and I'll be damned! He did it! I don't know if it was the accent, or what, but I tell you, if she told him to jump off the diving board, and swim to the side he'd do it. In fact he did! That's right on the first day. Here he was by the end of just 30 min. with Tracy:

You could tell that he was a little nervous to jump off, but then he just makes up his mind and goes for it. I was so shocked and excited for him, I cried, for reals. Of course within that 30 min. she knew that he was able to it safely. I think that he has had his dang life jacket on for so long, he knew how to swim, but just didn't realize that he could do it if he actually tried. Funny thing was I don't think he could sink if he tried. He really had a hard time doing the swim on the bottom of the pool thing because he just can't get down very far in the water.

Here he is backstroking it...



And then even diving off of the diving board by the end! By the end of the two weeks, Spencer had almost completed through level three of the Red Cross certification. Like I said, Tracy was a miracle worker!

Now on to Jenna! Jenna like I said hasn't ever been afraid of water. Here she is just enjoying the kickboard during lesson #1.

And by the end, here she is jumping off the diving board and swimming the length of the pool on her back. I didn't video it, but she also can swim 2/3 of the way across the pool underwater holding her breath!

While we watched the swimming lessons, Jayden enjoyed her trampoline!

Really I don't think I could say enough great things about Tracy. She was so patient with the kids, and also so no-nonsence, but in the nicest way. The first time Spencer jumped off the side of the pool, he kind of tried to hold onto the edge, and she simply said, "Cheater, Cheater, Pumpkin eater! We call that a cheater jump, Come on Spencer, let's try that again." She was also very encouraging, and positive. When Jenna would get tired of trying to float on her back, she would stop and stand up, and Tracy would just tell her to just catch her breath for a sec and keep trying. The kids both COULD NOT WAIT for lessons each day and were so sad when the two weeks were over.

2 comments:

Lhone said...

I'm so glad it worked out!!! I was wondering for us after day 2 because Brittany had a panic attack, but man, Tracy's good! I can't wait for next year! And, Spencer's diving? That is the one thing I felt bad about. Her diving board was broken until the last day of our lessons, so my kids missed out on all that. :( Good for spencer though.

Dean and Cindy Hatch said...

Great job Spencer and Jenna!!! So glad you came out here. Visiting with your mom and watching you was a real treat for my mom and me.

Love, Grandma Hatch