Thursday, February 5, 2009

What?

Jayden is a pretty good talker for his age, but he just doesn't seem to understand what the word WHAT means. He will tell me, "I want one." So I say, "What do you want?"
Followed by a "I want one!" While holding up a finger showing one. So, I figure I will get a little smart here and say, "OK, show me." Which unfailingly ends up in the kitchen, in the pantry, pointing at the treats. But then, when I ask him "What" he wants, whatever it is, it isn't there. He just keeps looking all over saying he wants one, but doesn't ever want what's there. So I don't know what 'one' is, but it must be some really cool treat for him not to settle for anything else.

4 comments:

Sher said...

At least you get that much out of him. Usually Peter will just whine at me, screaming NO, till I guess. I guess I need to stop enabling, since she'll be turning 4 soon, and should probably learn to talk!!!

Judy said...

What?

Just kidding, sorry bad joke. Sometimes I get that way too... I want one of something that I just can't find.

Lhone said...

I need BJ to use small words. HE tells me what he wants and it sounds more like blsdkjlfkjdslidfj. um...okay... then I just tell him he can't have one. (then I don't have to guess what it is :)

Cynthia Hatch said...

I love Lisa's answer to the problem. What a mean mom! (just kidding) I love the stage when they are starting to be able to communicate, but there is a lot of trial and error. I understand almost everthing Aston says now but last night Dave and I couldn't figure it out. We even asked the boys to try and all of us were confused. We tried the "show us" method, but she refused and was just mad. All I can say is good luck.