Friday, September 19, 2008

Blog Surfing

I was blog surfing today because I did not want to take a shower. Sometimes it just seems like more work than it's worth. Anyhow, in the process of "surfing" I came across a blog of one of my old primary teachers. Which is funny because I was thinking about her and her husband this week.

On Monday we had a Presidency meeting for Primary. During the meeting we were talking about all of the "holes" we need to fill. There are quite a few who have been released or are being released and there aren't replacements for them yet. As we were discussing people to sub, I realized that there are a lot of people who "sick" of primary right now and don't want to help. And don't get me wrong, I know how they feel. I have to admit I have been there myself. The class that we were discussing in particular reminded me of my own class at that age. We had Bro. and Sis. T. In fact, the more I thought about it, we had Bro. and Sis. T for a couple of years. I think they just followed us as we got older. And they were AMAZING!

We were always having class parties. Swim parties, Christmas parties, slumber parties (back then you could do that - girls in one room, boys in the other), and parties to plan our class presentations in Sharing time. They encouraged us to memorize scriptures - if we memorized a scripture, they would take us for Frozen Yogurt. They even gave me my first journal. They showed us what it meant to fellowship someone. There was this kid who (I think) had a single mom raising him. They were always inviting him to primary. They would pick him up for our parties and would really try to get us to include him in our games. There was even one kid who was deaf (that wasn't in our class), that would come to class and Bro. T would talk to him in sign language.

I respected them. They always told us the truth. If we were doing something that wasn't right, or maybe said or did something that wasn't nice, they told us. And you know, we all respected what they had to say. We knew that they were correcting us because they loved us and were trying to help us and teach us what was right.

They showed up each and every week prepared with a well thought out lesson and when they couldn't make it (which was rare) they had a substitute. I learned a lot those years, and now when I think back on primary teachers, they are the ones that I remember. And as we were trying to come up with names for subs in Primary this week, I thought of them.

So, thank you Bro. and Sis. T. I am sure that there are others who think of you when they think of primary. So, thank you for teaching us, thank you for coming each week, thank you for loving us, and thank you for giving us an example that we will follow for the rest of our lives. And my hope is that my children someday have Bro. and Sis. T's as well. If we could only be so lucky...

Other things I found while blog surfing is that some people have grown up into exactly what I thought they would be like and others are total SHOCKERS! For example, my friend who had this extensive collection of porceline babies just had twins. She has three other kids, and is LOVING it. She was always the one that everyone asked to babysit because she loved it and was good at it. (I didn't love it so much). Another kid that seemed pretty shy to me just got married not too long ago, I guess it took him awhile to get the nerve up. Someone else, is more of an independent and isn't married, not a shocker. But then there are the shockers! Like the kid that used to try cheating off of me in Spanish class, he's a teacher! I wonder what his cheating policy is? Or the kid that was a ladies man in high school. He's not married. Or the only child who has a BUNCH of kids! Or the kid that I had a crush on in like for ever is a beach bum. Go figure!

It does make me wonder though if people saw me now, would I surprise them or not?

8 comments:

Sher said...

That is what I love about blogging. It's awesome to be able to reconnect with people, you otherwise, would probably never run into in person.
That's Wonderful you could reconnect with those people!

Heather said...

So, did you get a new calling?

Lhone said...

It's tough. The people that are good at their callings get stuck. But, they might be good at it, but hate it. So, I guess you should just suck at your calling if you hate it. then, you won't get stuck! Ha!

Judy said...

You must be in the presidency if you're at a presidency meeting! (I'm in a mommy timeout by the way... self inflicted because I need a BREAK) and I was browsing through blogs.

I was thinking the exact same thing about whether I would surprise people or not. I am playing volleyball again this year and sometimes I look at the ladies (especially the ones that scared me last year) and wonder if people have any impressions of me, if I scare them... you know, what kind of impression I make. But I think that I am a non-descript plain jane sort of person that I could pass for anybody I guess (twice now someone has had a conversation with me thinking I was someone else.. one in Hawaii! It took a couple of minutes before they realized I was someone else.

Batistas said...

What a great entry!! I was thinking about the slumber parties as well when I read Leslies blog!!! What great times. You remember more than I do. I´m sure it was because you were paying better attention than me! Slacker!
Craziness how everyone changes. We sure had some great years!

Brett said...

How does one blog surf and find other people's blogs?

So, according to Lisa, I should start sucking at my calling and then maybe I'll get released. I could never ask to get released, but I'm sure that I could do a good job at sucking at it.

Andrea said...

I think the way to be released is to actually ENJOY your calling. It seems like everytime I start to figure it out and start enjoying it, I get released.

Elisa said...

I think everyone would say: "Yup. She's just as amazing as she always was!"

Thanks for coming over the other night! We had a really great time!