Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Melissa's Birthday

Melissa's now officially only two years from being a teen-ager. Scary huh? So, we planned a party and what a party it was too. I don't know who had more fun me and my sister Lisa, or the girls. To start off, when the girls got here (they all wore their pajamas), we had breakfast for dinner. We had french toast and waffles with either strawberry or apple topping, bacon, sausage, juice and chocolate milk. Once dinner was taken care of, the REAL party began. My sister Lisa came over and she and I did all the girls hair in some fun 'prom style' dos. In preparation, she and I probably watched several hours of "You Tube" trying to get all sorts of ideas for hair. And man, let me tell ya, there is A LOT of good stuff to learn about hair. I do pretty good when it comes to cute little girl hair dos, but the whole teen or "tween" (as I have learned is the correct term for Melissa's age group) hair is an entirely different endeavor. Lisa was majorly prepared, even came with a pad of paper full of notes. Good thinking on her part because I was kind of stumped when a new head of hair was presented in front of me. Here's Melissa's up-do (Lisa did it - and I think she outdid me on all the hair do's).
Melissa was sure excited about it. She even slept in it over night, and had it in all the next day. We used so much product (hair spray and such) in their hair, I wouldn't be surprised if all the girls could have worn their hair for several days and it look pretty much the same. I think 11 was the perfect age for this party because many of the girls were just so excited to wait to get their hair done. We had some make-up and a movie going for the girls who were waiting their turn, but most of the girls were excited to just wait and watch the other girls get their hair done.
After the hair was all done, the girls made some music videos. I will have to post those some other time because I didn't shoot the video on my camera, so getting it posted on the computer will take some time. After the videos were made, the girls had cake and sparkling cider.





That was followed by the gifts...


All in all, I think the girls had a really good time and more importantly, I think Melissa had a good time. I was glad that it all went so smoothely. We planned four hours for the party, and used every minute of it! Thanks again to Lisa for coming and helping out, we certainly couldn't have done it without her. We enjoyed doing the girls hair and listening to the girls talk about whatever. I think there is something to be said for a girl talking when she is getting her hair done. Boy, the stylist gets an ear-full but it was all great, I think I learned a lot about girls in that 4 hour time slot. I have to say that I was very impressed with all of them. They were so concerned about making sure that no one felt left out, and were so great with the compliments towards one another on their hair. It made me think that Melissa's got a good group of girls to be hanging around with.
In case you were wondering, this is what Melissa's hair looked like after we took it out the next night. Yeah, we used THAT much hair product in her hair!








3 comments:

Heather - said...

That looks like so much fun. When I was that age, my best friend had a 50's themed party. Her mom made all of us poodle skirts, then she did our hair, and we all went out to a 50's style diner for the party. It was so much fun.
And, I'm glad that Melissa has such a good group of girls to hang out with!

Judy said...

Looks like you, and most importantly Melissa, had a lot of fun! Happy Birthday to Melissa.

Lhone said...

I hope the girls had fun because I had a BLAST. I had to laugh at the things they were talking about, especially about the "scary" stories. They haven't changed over the years. Made me excited for the next several years with Brittany! thanks for inviting me.